Saturday, April 2, 2011

Foreign Worker Programs Appear to Lack Oversight

Report Lists Firms Debarred for Violations

A new report by the Center for Immigration Studies finds high likelihood of missed violations of the rules in major guestworker visa programs and the various employment-based permanent immigrant programs. In addition, the report collects in one place for the first time the information available on employers whose participation in the programs was suspended, at least temporarily, by the federal government due to misconduct.

The report, “Taking Names: List of Firms Barred from Foreign Worker Programs Likely Just Scratches the Surface,” is authored by David North, a Fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies and former Assistant to the U.S. Secretary of Labor.

The list of penalized employers included in the report is organized by the state the employers were located in at the time they were debarred. Additionally, the list includes information on the employer name and location, the program the employer was participating in, and information on penalty they received.

Among the improbably low rates of abuse of these programs, based on the proportion of participating employers that were debarred from participation, are these:
Only 1 out of 983 employers using the H-1B program;

Only 1 out of 1,278 employers using the H-2A program;

Only 1 out of 500 employers using the H-2B program; and

Though the exact number of employers participating in employment-based permanent resident programs is unknown, the report estimates only 1 out of 2,500 employers was debarred.

The above is a press release from from Center for Immigration Studies. 1522 K St. NW, Suite 820, Washington, DC 20005, (202) 466-8185 fax: (202) 466-8076. Email: Contact: Bryan Griffith, 202-466-8185, The Center for Immigration Studies is an independent research institution which examines the impact of immigration on the United States. The Center for Immigration Studies is not affiliated with any other organization

Prime Minister of Italy promises to end the 'invasion of migrants'

SILVIO BERLUSCONI has made a lightning visit to Lampedusa, pledging to empty the little island of refugees, nominate local citizenry for a Nobel peace prize - and buy himself a holiday home.

Just days before the beginning of the so-called Rubygate trial in which he is accused of paid sex with a minor, the Italian Prime Minister and an entourage mainly composed of men launched what he flamboyantly called the "Free Lampedusa" plan, sending six ships to disperse the 6000 refugees that are now camped on the island.

"I guarantee that the invasion of migrants will be resolved in 48, maximum 60 hours and Lampedusa will be inhabited only by Lampedusans," Mr Berlusconi said. Six ships would take them to migrant centres on the mainland while others would be deported.

Speaking in front of the municipal hall to a crowd of anxious locals, he said he would ask that "the Nobel for peace be asked for Lampedusa" and asked his Finance Minister, Giulio Tremonti, to explore a 12-month tax holiday for the islanders.

That wasn't all. The tiny island lives off summer tourism - as well as services to the refugees - but this looked all but finished since the latest arrival of refugees camped around the bays and outcrops without sanitary services or shelter.

"[TV stations] RAI and Mediaset will be asked to air pro-island programs … Lampedusa will have a golf course, a casino, a new school and I have bought a house here," he said.

La Repubblica quoted the owners of the tiny villa next door: "We are so moved to know that our new neighbour is the Premier no less … we just didn't expect that". (The house, reported the Italian press, was bought on the internet for less than €2000 [$2700].)

Later, talking to a group of mothers who had been demonstrating against the refugee influx, Mr Berlusconi told a joke: "During a poll, a sample of women were asked if they wanted to make love with Berlusconi. Thirty per cent said maybe. The other 70 per cent said, 'Again?"'

Another woman was given a poetry recitation dedicated to her eyes.

For Mr Berlusconi, this "can do and I don't care" showmanship has been the key to his extraordinary popularity in the polls. Despite crisis after personal crisis - and a mountain of legal cases - the septuagenarian appeared to be invincible, describing himself as the "people's Premier".


No comments:

Post a Comment