Friday, February 24, 2012

London is no longer an English-speaking city

Australia has been multicultural much longer than England has so I do understand the frustration of the writer below but I also have some news for him: He will get used to it. After about 60 years of frequent dealings with people who have limited English I just accept that as part of life. And in the end it all works somehow. And the better food has certainly been worth it

I can't boast of being particularly good at languages. But, what with an inordinate amount of to-ing and fro-ing over a lifetime, I manage to get by in most countries when it comes to buying things or ordering a meal.

I even make a point of refusing English-language menus, and, if one is thrust upon me, only ever look at it for amusement value. For example, a Petersburg restaurant once had a mystery item on special, called 'boiled language.' I like mine nice and blue with lots of salt and pepper, I wanted to say, even though I knew that the Russians have the same word for tongue and language (yazyk, if you're interested).

Anyway, by accident of birth I'm bilingual in English and Russian, so whenever I find myself in Moscow (which is as seldom as I can help it) I can ask anything I want, such as 'I like my food hot, my vodka cold, and not vice versa' or 'Please don't hurt me.'

Since I've been spending much time in France for many years, I can go so far as to exchange off-colour jokes with the maître d' at my favourite Paris restaurant, secure in the knowledge that he is duty-bound to laugh at my one-liners (nowadays professional obligation seems to be a precondition for anyone to appreciate what my wife calls my infantile humour).

Having lived in Italy for a while and travelled extensively through Spain, I can order a fairly sophisticated meal in Rome or Madrid, and the waiters don't even feel tempted to insult or overcharge me.

The only capital city in which I can't make myself understood at shops and restaurants is the one where I happen to live: London. And I'd be lying to you if I claimed that my reaction to this linguistic conundrum is invariably good-natured.

This morning I was at a major supermarket where I couldn't find Polish cucumbers in brine, which normally live in the Foods of the World section. I had to stop several assistants before I found one who could understand the word 'cucumber'. Not a single one knew what brine was. 'Vinegar?' they'd suggest helpfully. 'No, not vinegar! Brine! Salt and water!' 'Vinegar,' they'd say with decisive finality.

On another occasion I was driven to distraction by a shop assistant who kept pointing me towards the butcher's counter where I could buy 'peeg', rather than the pickle I had trouble finding. And when buying bread at a French bakery, such as Paul, one had better be able to speak French if wishing to communicate the difference between 'rye bun' and 'rum baba'.

Now I don't mind speaking French, but there's a big difference between not minding and having to. In fact, I'm bloody-minded enough to refuse to speak any language other than English in my city. If they take my money in my country, they should damn well speak my language - just as I try my best to speak theirs in their country.

If this makes me sound as if I were somehow against immigrants working in London, I want to dispel this impression once and for all. I'm not. In fact, I welcome it - it's nice to buy real bread from people who know how to make it; I like ordering my pasta from people who don't pronounce it 'passter'; I'm ecstatic about getting a tapa from a waiter who knows the difference between Serrano and Ibérica hams. I just don't want to have language problems in my own city.

Moreover, I'm a firm supporter of free trade, including the import of labour, though I do draw the line on the import of welfare recipients. I just wonder why I've never met a Paris waiter who doesn't speak proper French (and some of them aren't natives), while these days hardly ever meeting a London one who speaks proper English.

Our economy is in the doldrums, 20 percent of British young people are unemployed (and God only knows how many more on the 'sickie'), and yet catering and retail jobs go to people who don't understand me even when I speak slowly and loudly. I could suggest why this is happening, and even what needs to be done to change the situation, but I'll save that for a different article.

For now I'll just go on saying, 'Well, you better habla, mate. This is England, you know. Inglaterra! Entiende?'

SOURCE






Recent posts at CIS below

See here for the blog. The CIS main page is here.

1. REAL ID Implementation Annual Report Major Progress Made in Securing Driver’s License Issuance Against Identity Theft and Fraud (Backgrounder)

2. Summer jobs for foreigners crowd out Americans State Department program, though well intentioned, is out of control (Op-ed)

3. Illegal Population Stops Declining under Obama After Declining by 1 Million 2007 to 2009 (Announcement)

4. Case History: 32 years Later and Fernando Arango is Still in Court (Blog)

5. Finding Skilled Workers for U.S. Manufacturing Jobs (Blog)

6. Closing Immigration Loopholes That Benefited Capitol Bomber (Blog)

7. Another Terrorist Attempt, Another Illegal Overstay (Blog)

8. Oscar-Nominated Portrayal of an Illegal Immigrant from Mexico (Blog)

9. Case History: Sloppy Government Work Stalls Criminal's Deportation (Blog)

10. Four Films Demand Repeal of Alabama Law (Blog)

11. House Immigration Subcommittee Has a Lively Hearing (Blog)

12. Is the Mainstream Media Incapable of Getting the Facts Right About H-1B? (Blog)

13. 'Civil Rights' Group Endangers Food Stamp Eligibility for Its Own Alien Clients (Blog)

14. A Response to Father Tom Joyce and U.S. Catholic (Blog)

15. Dept. of Labor Loses Migration Enforcement Funds to USDA (Blog)

16. DHS Estimates: Long-Time Illegals Do in Fact Self Deport (Blog)

17. DHS Budget: More Tax Funds for Benefits, Less for Enforcement (Blog)

18. No Mormon Dialogue (Blog)

19. Obama Administration Proposes to Cut 287(g) Funding (Blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment